Monday, September 17, 2007

Introduction


Hello Class!

My name is Leah. I'm a sophomore at Lang where I am tentatively studying history...or philosophy...or media studies? Really, I'm just focusing on gaining a balanced and applicable education. And I'm finding out that this is not so black and white.

I grew up in Down-East Maine (pictured above), in a very small town so I am now trying to establish myself in the city and figure out why I am here and how I best function in my newish environment (Alphabet City).

I am not very familiar with blogs and so I'm sort of weary of them. Although I regularly use Facebook and MySpace, I have trouble with the notion (or lack) of privacy today. I want to become comfortable enough with blogs so that I no longer just understand them as public diaries and can see them as tools or as educational.

In relation to Todd Gitlin's eight strategies, I see myself as a content critic. I understand that the media has a huge impact on how people understand the world and that it needs work. Although I sometimes find myself browsing Star Tracks on People.com I think the main focus of media should be to educate the public in current events and global politics. News with substance should be more relevant than Britney's latest meltdown.

Less Access Hollywood...more Charlie Rose.

1 comment:

dominic said...

welcome leah.
(we're almost neighbors.)
sounds like you're in the right place to explore your interests.